When A Short Circuit Occurs, It Is Time To Call A Professional

23 February 2017
 Categories: Construction & Contractors, Blog


Messing around with a home's electrical design is never a good idea for the amateur. This is doubly true when a dangerous situation like a short circuit occurs. Here's why homeowners who think they understand their home's electrical design should still leave it to the professionals.

Symptoms Of A Short Circuit

When a short circuit occurs, it will cause a few effects. First of all, electrical outlets can start to spark, including when you plug or unplug electrical items. Cords can also warm up in these outlets and even start to melt down. A short circuit can occur just about anywhere in an electrical system, which can make them fairly difficult to understand.

That said, it is possible to track them down and even deal with them without calling a professional. However, that is a dangerous situation and one that shouldn't be approached without careful consideration. In fact, failure to properly trace a short circuit can cause fires and other problems.

Finding A Short Circuit Can Be Hard

While homeowners can trace a short circuit on their own, this is not an easy task. It requires turning off the electricity to an outlet. This may require turning off all the electricity in a home. Then, the circuit breaker needs to be reset or a fuse replaced, if necessary. After this, the power must be turned back on. If the fuse or breaker trips again, there's a short circuit somewhere.

Tracking it down often requires flipping on various electrical items, flipping off the various circuit breakers, and continually checking electrical flow. It is an exasperating process that can take up a person's whole day. Even worse, they may not end up finding the short circuit!

How Professionals Can Help

Professional electrical services like All American Air & Electric, Inc. can help you avoid dangerous situations by approaching a short circuit with a calm mind and a skilled eye. They have deal with short circuits for years, and they understand how to fix them with out causing any danger to a home.

Essentially, they will perform a process similar to the one mentioned above, but one that is more streamlined and effective. In this way, they can not only identify the short more quickly, but repair it in a way that eliminates fire dangers.

By now, it should be clear that amateur electrical work is not a wise decision. So if a short circuit seems to have affected your home, call a professional electrical service company right away. They will track down the source of the short and do what they can to stop it from getting worse.


Share